Algarve Surf Spots Guide
Photo above: Praia do Amado, Carrapateira.
With 2 coasts and 30+ spots less than 1 hour from Lagos, the Algarve offers waves for surfers of all levels. The guide has been organised into 5 main surfing areas: Lagos (7 spots), South Coast (7 spots), Sagres (7 spots), Carrapateira (2 spots) and Aljezur (7 spots).
Algarve Surf Map
How to use the Map
Click on the icon on the top left of the map to reveal the map legend. Click on a location to reaveal detailed spot information including photos, local conditions, and directions on how to get there.
Green marker = consistent and good for all levels.
Red marker = consistent and/or better for experienced surfers.
Blue marker = good for all levels.
Best Surf Beaches in the Algarve
1. Praia da Arrifana - Consistent beach break. Works best with W-NW swells and E-SE wind, all tides. Good beach for beginners. Parking at the top of hill.
2. Praia do Amado - Consistent beach break. Works best with most W swells and NE-SE wind, all tides. Some rocks to look out for. Many surf schools. Good parking.
3. Praia da Cordoama - Consistent beach break. Works best with smaller W swells and E-SE wind, all tides. Some rocks to look out for. Good restaurant next to the beach. Limited parking.
4. Praia do Beliche - Beach break. Works best with a big W swell (winter) or S swell (summer) and N-NE wind. The peak on the eastern end of the beach can be world class when it's working. Usually crowded.
5. Praia do Zavial - Beach/point break. Works best with a big W swell (winter) and NW-NE wind, low to incoming tide. Produces some of the best waves in the Algarve when it's working. Usually crowded.
3 Day Surf Forecast for Sagres
Arrifana Surf Webcam
Praia da Arrifana is a popular surf spot located 45 minutes northwest of Lagos.