Algarve Surf Spots Guidepihasurfer
With 2 coasts and 30+ spots less than 1 hour from Lagos, the Algarve offers a wide range of waves for surfers of all levels. This guide has been organised into 5 main surfing areas: Lagos, the South Coast, Sagres, Carrapateira and Aljezur. Photo above: Praia do Amado, Carrapateira.
Algarve Surf Map
Click on a location to reveal detailed spot information including photos, local conditions, and directions on how to get there.
Best Surf Beaches in the Algarve
1. Praia da Arrifana – Consistent beach break. Works best with W-NW swells, E-SE winds, and all tides. Good beach for beginners. Parking at the top of hill. This surf spot located 45 minutes northwest of Lagos, towards the village of Aljezur.
2. Praia do Amado – Consistent beach break. Works best with most W swells, NE-SE wind, and all tides. Some rocks to look out for. Many surf schools. Good parking. Located 40 minutes west of Lagos, near the village of Carrapateira.
3. Praia da Cordoama – Consistent beach break. Works best with smaller W swells, E-SE winds, and all tides. Some rocks to look out for. Good restaurant next to the beach. Limited parking. 30 minutes west of Lagos, near the village of Vila do Bispo.
4. Praia do Beliche – Beach break. Works best with a big W swell during winter, or a S swell summer and N-NE winds. The peak on the eastern end of the beach can be world class when it’s working. Usually crowded.
5. Praia do Zavial – Beach/point break. Works best with a big W swell during winter, NW-NE wind, and a low to incoming tide. Produces some of the best waves in the Algarve when it’s working. Usually crowded. This surf spot is located 25 minutes from Lagos, near the village of Raposeira.
5 Day Surf Forecast for Carrapateira
Algarve Surf Webcams